This is a fancy recipe that I made just for you. And don’t worry, it’s not at all hard to make.
There’s something really wonderful about the textures in this salad. It’s got crisp, juicy fennel, creamy avocado, tender, sweet-sour chunks of grapefruit, and the crunch of tangy, salty quick-pickled red onion. A sprinkle of chili flakes and cilantro (or mint!) brings everything together – what, are you surprised? Seriously, the flavors in this salad are amazing together. I made it up sitting on the couch, thinking of what I could make without a trip to the store… and it came together better than I hoped.
The colors are beautiful together, too, and make for a very festive spring salad!
Don’t worry if you can’t find fennel (or don’t like it, you crazies), just substitute your favorite crunchy, crispy vegetable – thinly-sliced cucumbers would make a good substitute, or even celery.
- 1 avocado, skin and pit removed and thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 2 grapefruits, supremed (directions & photo below)
- 1/4 cup pickled red onion, drained* (ingredients below) (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- two pinches sea salt or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup cilantro or mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced and cut in half-moons
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (or enough to cover the red onions)
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- First, make the onions ahead of time (you can leave out the pickled onions if you don't want to wait): in a resealable container or jar, combine vinegar, sugar, and salt and stir well. Add the onions and add more vinegar to cover if necessary. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Supreme the grapefruit - see photo illustration below. You don't have to do this either, if it's too much trouble - just peel and cut the grapefruit in chunks.
- Combine fennel, grapefruit, and avocado in a medium to large salad bowl. In a separate small bowl or jar combine olive oil, salt, pepper, chili flakes, and mint (or cilantro) and mix well. Add to salad and gently mix.
- For a more elegant presentation, arrange the avocado on plates or in bowls, top with shaved fennel and then grapefruit pieces, then drizzle on the olive oil. Sprinkle with cilantro or mint, sea salt, pepper, and red chili flakes.
Cut the top and bottom off of the fruit, then cut the skin and pith off the sides. Use a paring knife to cut between the membrane and the fruit on each side and the use the knife to remove it.